Jontow Homelab KVM
Ubuntu 15.04 Notes
This section should get a general build of a VM host running KVM with libvirt (virsh)
and 2TB of RAID1 (softraid) running on Ubuntu 15.04 server. The hardware platform
that this section targets/was tested on is a Sun Fire X2200 M2. There is a hardware
specific notes section below.
The disks will be setup with RAID and LVM, giving a maximum compromise of reliability
and flexibility. Swap partitions are setup outside of softraid to maximize performance.
- (2) x 2.0 TB disks in chassis, built at install time using the following general procedure:
- From aux shell: fdisk /dev/sda and "g" to GPT the disk, repeat for /dev/sdb
- Create a new (bios_grub) partition on each disk: ~256MB is fine
- Create any swap partitions necessary
- Create a new identically sized partition on each disk, "Use as: physical volume for RAID"
- Configure Software RAID: RAID1, 2 devices, 0 spares, select the two identical partitions as members.
- Configure LVM:
- Create VG with PV /dev/md0 (named "vm1-vg")
- Create LV (20G) from VG "vm1-vg" (named "vm1-root")
- Create LV (20G) from VG "vm1-vg" (named "vm1-iso-0")
- Create LV (1T) from VG "vm1-vg" (named "vm1-store-0")
- Setup "vm1-root" as / with ext4 FS
- Setup "vm1-iso-0" as /vm1-iso with ext4 FS
- Setup "vm1-store-0" as /vm1-store-0 with ext4 FS
- When asked, install grub to "/dev/sda" (it'll try to use "/dev/mapper", override this.)
- After firstboot of system, run "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc"
$ sudo apt-get install zsh multitail screen sysstat openssh-server nfs-kernel-server $ sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-bin openvswitch-switch openvswitch-common $ sudo apt-get install libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 policykit-1 $ sudo apt-get install virtinst
- /etc/hosts :
127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.1.1 vm1 10.49.249.20 vm1.je 10.49.249.21 vm2.je 10.49.254.20 vm1.xc vm1 10.49.254.21 vm2.xc vm2 # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
- Setup storage repo:
$ sudo ln -s /vm1-store-0 /vm-store-0
- /etc/exports (on vm1):
- Enable/start NFS:
$ sudo systemctl enable nfs-kernel-server $ sudo systemctl start nfs-kernel-server