Jump to navigation Jump to search
- This documentation is for FreeBSD using the Ports Collection.
- You should have an up-to-date (recently cvsup'd) ports tree.
Building From Source
- Change into the port directory of relevance:
# cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql50-server # make install
- Do NOT do a "make install clean" here, explicitly using "make install", see the next steps.
- Once that finishes (it will take a while.. it has to build client & server, and they're large.) it is time to configure it.
# echo 'mysql_enable="YES"' >>/etc/rc.conf
- Do NOT typo that line. It'll be bad, honest.
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start # cd work/mysql-5.0.24/scripts/ # sh mysql_secure_installation.sh
- Answer all questions honestly (enter because root pass is null, then SET ONE!)
- Say 'Y' to remove anonymous users
- Say 'Y' to disallow root login remotely
- Say 'Y' to remove test database and all access to it
- Finally, Say 'Y' to reload the privilege tables.
# cd ../../.. ; make clean
- From here, you are roughly done. To get to the CLI, do this:
# mysql -u root -p
- (Enter password.. read manual.)